Beauty salon

Man throws Molotov cocktail into LES beauty salon, injuring two people

Two people were injured after a fire engulfed a Lower East Side beauty salon on Sunday, police and sources said.

The chilling scene took place just before 5 p.m. at the Sa Sa II beauty salon, located at 129 Eldridge Street, when the suspect poured petrol inside and set it on fire, police said .

A 60-year-old woman suffered burns to the chest and a 46-year-old man suffered burns to the chest and arms. Both were taken to New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center in stable condition, police said.

No arrests were immediately reported.

Witnesses told the Post that the lounge’s front door was locked at the time of the arson and those trapped inside were banging on the door in a desperate attempt to flee to safety as the building crumbled. quickly filled with smoke.

The front door to the living room was locked at the time of the arson and those trapped inside were banging on the door in a desperate attempt to flee.
William C. Lopez/NYPOST
The remains of the fire lie in the street.
A 60-year-old woman suffered burns to the chest and a 46-year-old man suffered burns to the chest and arms.
William C. Lopez/NYPOST

“The whole store was filled with black smoke and we didn’t even realize there was a fire or anything, but there was someone beating to get out and the door was locked,” said Nick Gerrard, 30, having a drink afterwards. door, told the Post.

Gerrard said the smoke was so thick he could only see the person’s fists banging on the glass door and couldn’t make out their face.

Gerrard, from Brooklyn, tried to break the glass door with a stool, before he and another witness were finally able to open it so the man trapped inside could escape.

A policeman looks inside the living room.
No arrests have yet been made.
William C. Lopez/NYPOST

He said the man whose “clothes had been completely burned” ran out of the building, followed by one or two people who were also inside. Then the flames grew.

“We saw the flames rising inside and there was black smoke billowing from the front door,” Gerrard said.

A manager from the nearby business grabbed a fire extinguisher and began spraying the living room until firefighters showed up a few minutes later.

Firefighters brought the flames under control around 5:30 p.m., according to the FDNY.

Police and firefighters are investigating the incident.

Additional reporting by Tina Moore